FidoNet Echomail Archive
trade_wars

From: Dan Kemmerer
To: Stephane Venne
Date: 2007-04-17 10:29:24
Subject: Re: looking for no SWATH allowed low turn games

  Re: Re: looking for no SWATH allowed low turn games
  By: Stephane Venne to All on Fri Apr 13 2007 01:51 pm

 > I used to be hosting tradewars gold games for years and I was very#
 > jugemental about helpers at first, but then i've tried one myself, honestly
 > i don't see anything wrong with it, enable the players to play more
 > strategically.
 >
 > A good way to help the cpu and deter player who abuse is to increase the max
 > command/cycle parameter. This way even an helper will be slowed down.
 >

 > "Jason Hud" <jason.hud{at}1:124/7013> wrote in message
 > >   Re: Re: looking for no SWATH allowed low turn games
 > >   By: Dan Kemmerer to Stephane Venne on Sun Apr 08 2007 07:41 am
 > >
 > >  > a learn macro with your telnet app. I guess they also turn off the
 > >  > CIM, which would help some if SWATH relies on and can't just goto
 > >  > computer and do it by script from there.  It'd just take alot
 > >  > longer, but at automation speed maybe not too much. Damn Swath,
 > >  > DAMNIT!!! It's made it so automatic that even if I could #use it
 > >  > would take all the fun out of i t:(
 > >
 > > yeah, i'm not a big tradewars fan.
 > >
 > > my first encounter with swath and other programs for tradewars was last
 > > summer, when one of my bbses was bogged down by several users using it on
 > the
 > > system.
 > >
 > > i thought it was cheating so i immediately started dumping them and
 > locking
 > > some out. i didnt know it was common place to do that stuff.
 > >
 > > but, it did make it worse for the users that actually wanted to use the
 > bbs;
 > > the program was making tradewars go apeshit with cpu cycles. ;[
 > >
 > > --- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
Weeeeell, I see TONS wrong with it!  It gives such a ridiculous advantage
(SWATH anyway) that you simply cannont compete without it.
Shows #all deadends, compiles all ports every seen and give pairs, 5 away pairs
for rob/steal which you'd NEVER get all of without.
World trad, world rob.  You're totally F-ED if you don't.
So, newbies are F-ED.
AND, it makes brute force the way to succeed, NOT strategy.
If you just run worldtrade every day and don't even barely watch it you will
win against somebody who puts in alot of th#ought and strategy.
Turns it into boredom just running scripts for 80% of the time#.
And that's from a guy who told me he uses it EXCLUSIVELY.
In fact, so automated into thoughtlessness that he plays SEVEN games, at the
same time, i separate windows, most d#ays, barely wathing any of them.
Only actually realy plays on Sat. or Sun.
If that isn't RUINED I don't know what is.

--- SBBSecho 2.12-Win32
 * Origin: *TCCNET*Leesburg,VA* bbs.toolman.net (1:261/1410) (1:261/1410)