FidoNet Echomail Archive
sync_programming

From: Digital Man
To: Nightfox
Date: 2019-04-16 20:46:14
Subject: src/sbbs3/scfg/scfgxtrn.c

  Re: src/sbbs3/scfg/scfgxtrn.c
  By: Nightfox to rswindell on Tue Apr 16 2019 12:40 pm

 >   Re: src/sbbs3/scfg/scfgxtrn.c
 >   By: rswindell to CVS commit on Thu Apr 11 2019 05:11 pm
 >
 >  rs> scfgxtrn.c
 >  rs> Log Message:
 >  rs> Define and use a new external message editor option: SAVECOLUMNS
 >  rs> (default: off) - when enabled, the current terminal width (columns)
 >  rs> will be saved in the msg header.
 >  rs> When using the internal msg editor or raw intput mode, the columns a
 >  rs> always saved in the message editor. fseditor.js should have this opt
 >  rs> enabled. In SCFG, this option is called "Record Terminal
Width".

 > I have enabled this option for my local dev copy of SlyEdit.  I tried
 > writing a test message to myself with a 132-column terminal and then read
 > it with an 80-column terminal.  My message had a few lines and didn't see
 > to be wrapped properly - The 2nd line was wrapped significantly less than
 > the 80-column width and the rest of the line was on the next line.  Shoul
 > this setting work with local messages, or is it only for messages being
 > shared via QWK and other networked areas?

We might be talking about different things. The QUOTEWRAP option is for
re-wrapping of the quote.txt file. If your resulting message is not displayed
nicely, that could be a number of things:
1. The method of viewing the message (the internal message reader or a script)?
1. The method of saving the message to the msgbase.

 > My local development copy of SlyEdit allows using the whole width of the
 > terminal for the message and wraps as such and saves each line as its own
 > line. I'm wondering if it needs to save each paragraph as one long line?

It doesn't *need* to, but I think that should at least be an option. If all
messages were stored that way, then I think we'd have fewer problems,
ultimately. Synchronet's internal message viewer can certainly display
single-lone-line paragraph formatted messages nicely for the current terminal
size. But most messages are not created in that manner today.

                                            digital man

This Is Spinal Tap quote #40:
Morty the Mime: Come on, don't talk back, mime is money, come on, move it.
Norco, CA WX: 56.0F, 81.0% humidity, 6 mph E wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs
--- SBBSecho 3.07-Linux
 * Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)
SEEN-BY: 103/705 154/10 203/0 218/700 221/0 229/426 240/5832 261/38 280/464
SEEN-BY: 280/5003 396/45 423/120 633/0 267 280 281 384 412 509 712/848 770/1
@PATH: 103/705 280/464 712/848 633/280 267