From: mg
To: All
Date: 2007-03-31 14:26:22
Subject: Re: Mormon Prophet Hacks Man to Pieces with Sword

From: "mg" <mgkelson{at}yahoo.com>

On Mar 20, 1:59 am, "Jong Kim" <r...{at}hotmail.com> wrote:
> Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Six 1843-44 Pg.299 - Pg.300:

-> Meaning of Word Mormon

"Look," he went on to say, "if there is any name that is
totally honorable in its derivation, it is the name Mormon. And so, when
someone asks me about it and what it means, I quietly say-'Mormon means
more good.'" (The Prophet Joseph Smith first said this in 1843; see
Times and Seasons, 4:194; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp.
299-300.)"

http://www.mormonwiki.com/mormonism/Mormon_Should_Mean_%22More_Good%22

> To the Editor of the Times & Seasons:
> Sir: -- Through the medium of your paper, I wish to correct an error among
> men that profess to be learned, liberal and wise; and I do it the more
> cheerfully, because I hope sober-thinking and sound-reasoning people will
> sooner listen to the voice of truth, than be led astray by the vain
> pretensions of the self-wise.  The error I speak of, is the definition of
> the word "Mormon."  I has been stated that this word was
derived from the
> Greek word "mormo."  This is not the case.  There was no
Greek or Latin upon
> the plates from which I, through the grace of God, translated the Book of
> Mormon.  Let the language of that book speak for itself.  On the 523rd page,
> of the fourth edition, it reads: "And now behold we have written
this record
> according to our knowledge in the characters, which are called among us the
> "Reformed Egyptian," being handed down and altered by us,
according to our
> manner of speech; and if our plates had been sufficiently large, we should
> have written in Hebrew: but the Hebrew hath been altered by us, also; and if
> we could have written in Hebrew, behold ye would have had no imperfection in
> our record, but the Lord knoweth the things which we have written, and also,
> that none other people knoweth our language; therefore he hath prepared
> means for the interpretation thereof."
>
> Here then the subject is put to silence, for "none other people knoweth our
> language," therefore the Lord, and not man, had to interpret, after the
> people were all dead.  And as Paul said, "the world by wisdom
know not God,"
> so the world by speculation are destitute of revelation; and as God in his
> superior wisdom, has always given his Saints, wherever he had any on the
> earth, the same spirit, and that spirit, as John says, is the true spirit of
> prophecy, which is the testimony of Jesus, I may safely say that the word
> Mormon stands independent of the learning and wisdom of this generation. --
> Before I give a definition, however, to the word, let me say that the Bible
> in its widest sense, means good; for the Savior says according to the gospel
> of John, "I am the good shepherd;" and it will not be beyond
the common use
> of terms, to say that good is among the most important in use, and though
> known by various names in different languages, still its meaning is the
> same, and is ever in opposition to "bad."  We say from the
Saxon, "good";
> the Dane, "god"; the Goth, "goda"; the German,
"gut"; the Dutch, "goed"; the
> Latin, "bonus"; the Greek, "kalos"; the Hebrew,
"tob"; and the "Egyptian,
> "mon."  Hence, with the addition of "more," or the
contraction, "mor," we