From: CE
To: Ronald 'More-More' Moshki
Date: 2007-03-31 18:51:14
Subject: Re: Nun's the Wiser

From: "CE" <jlrisdon{at}gmail.com>

<snip>

Here's the text of the story carried by CNA, the Catholic News Agency. I
think it's an interesting story, a reminder of the power of prayer and
faith.

Pope John Paul II

Sister Marie Simon-Pierre speaks of miraculous cure at press conference

Nun claims Pope John Paul II may have brought about a miraculous cure for
her Parkinson's

 Paris, Mar 30, 2007 / 12:13 pm (CNA).- "All I can tell you is that I
was sick and now I am cured.  It is for the church to say and to recognize
whether it is a miracle," so said the 46 year-old Religious Sister who
many think may have been miraculously cured through the intercession of the
late Pope John Paul II.  The French nun, the identity of whom was unknown
to the world until this week, spoke to the press in today.

According to the Associated Press, Sister Marie Simon-Pierre stopped short
of declaring her recovery a miracle, saying that was for the church to
decide. But she said her life "totally changed" after her
symptoms vanished in one night of prayer and mystery in 2005.

Smiling broadly, the French nun, whose claims could be accepted as the
miracle that the Vatican needs to Beatify Pope John Paul II, said Friday
that she was inexplicably and suddenly "cured" of Parkinson's
disease - thanks to him.

"I am cured. It is the work of God, through the intercession of Pope
John Paul II," told Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre, smiling broadly before
a barrage of television cameras.

"It's something very strong, very difficult to put into words,"
she told reporters in the southern French city of Aix en Provence.

Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre had been suffering from Parkinson's, a
degenerative disease of the nervous system, since 2001, but has testified
that she was cured in the night of June 2, 2005 after praying to John Paul
II, whose final years were also marked by the disease.

The nun recounted how she had suddenly been able to write legibly after
struggling for months to hold a pen, the disease having progressed to the
point that she no longer controlled motion in her hand.

"I came across a sister who had helped me tremendously and I told her
as I held up my hand, my left hand, 'look, my hand is no longer
trembling'," she said. "John Paul II cured me."

"Since then I have not taken any treatment. My life has completely
changed -- it was like a second birth for me," she added.

Sister Marie-Simon-Pierre said that her symptoms has steadily grown worse
since her diagnosis with Parkinson's in 2001.  Driving became practically
impossible, she had difficulty walking, and her left arm hung limply at her
side. She also could no longer bear to see John Paul on television, because
he, too, was stricken - more seriously - with the disease.

When seeing him, "I saw myself in the years to come, to be honest, in
a wheelchair," she said.

Then, on the night of June 2, 2005, exactly two months after the pontiff's
death, she said. In her room after evening prayers, she said an inner voice
urged her to take up her pen and write. She did, and was surpassed to see
that her handwriting - which had grown illegible because of her illness -
was clear. She said she then went to bed, and woke early the next morning
feeling "completely transformed."

"I was no longer the same inside. It is difficult for me to explain to
you in words ... It was too strong, too big. A mystery."

"I realized that my body was no longer the same," she added.
"I was convinced that I was cured."

Described by her colleagues as a gentle, reserved woman who had hoped to
keep her identity under wraps, the nun coped well with the media spotlight.
She looked a little bemused as journalists huddled around her, putting
their microphones in place. Only once, when describing how her symptoms
worsened after the Pope died on April 2, 2005, did she momentarily lose a
little of her poise.

"Please excuse me, I'm a little emotional," she said.

Convincing evidence of a miracle -- usually a medical cure with no
scientific explanation -- is essential in the beatification process, the
first step to sainthood in the Roman Catholic Church.

The Rome diocese's website carries dozens of testimonials from individuals
claiming cures at the hands of the late Pope, but to qualify as a miracle
the recovery must be sudden, complete and permanent -- as well as
inexplicable by doctors.

The nun is expected to travel to Rome for ceremonies marking the second
anniversary of the Pontiff's death and the closure of a church
investigation into his life. Pope Benedict XVI waived the customary
five-year waiting period for the procedure to begin, clearly in response to
popular demand that began with chants of "Santo Subito!" or
"Sainthood Now!" erupting during John Paul's 2005 funeral.