From: CE
To: spartakus
Date: 2007-03-31 18:45:42
Subject: Re: ARTIST WANTS PUBLIC TO EAT JESUS FIGURE

From: "CE" <jlrisdon{at}gmail.com>

On Mar 30, 11:38 pm, sparta...{at}my-deja.com wrote:
> "J Young" <youngopini...{at}aol.com> wrote:
> >http://catholicleague.org/07press_releases/quarter_1/070329_artist_wa...
>
> > The Catholic League has learned that artist Cosimo Cavallaro has
> > invited the public to show up at midnight on April 1 to take a bite
> > of his 6-foot tall chocolate sculpture of a crucified Jesus with his
> > genitals exposed; it is scheduled to be shown during Holy Week,
> > from April 1 to April 7.
>
> > Catholic League president Bill Donohue commented as follows:
>
>      "Just imagine if a white guy is performing oral sex on
>       a statue of Martin Luther King with an erection. Do you
>       need to see it to know it's ugly?"
>
> Cross-posted to alt.religion.christian.roman-catholic, because I'm
> curious about how many Catholics feel that Bill Donohue speaks for
> them.  He is, after all, the person our so-called "liberal media" has
> designated as *the* spokesman for American Catholicism.  He's the "go-
> to" Catholic in the public eye.  How comfortable are our Catholic
> friends with this?

I've read enough of the transcript to get the ghist of what's going on.

I agree it's offensive to ask the public to eat a chocolate statue of Jesus
in the nude, genitals and all. It's clearly an attempt by some guy to gain
recognition by attacking the central figure of the faith of millions of
people during their holy week. I find it pretty disgusting.