From: Waldtraud
To: All
Date: 2007-03-31 09:27:00
Subject: March 31st - Amos, Prophet

From: "Waldtraud" <hildegard8{at}excite.com>

March 31st - Amos, Prophet (RM)

8th century BC. One of the minor prophets of the Old Testament, Amos wrote
only nine brief chapters, far less than a man who writes adventure stories;
far less than a journalist who scribbles each day, far less than a
columnist who writes each week, far less than many of us do on this list.
Some say he wrote the nine chapters in a brief hour: "Return to the
land of Judah, and there eat your bread and prophesy!"

He was just a shepherd of Tekoah (Koa) near Bethlehem, a trimmer of
sycamores, "a herdsman plucking wild figs" (Amos 7:13). Yet God
seized him and told him to go and prophesy; and his words have endured for
thousands of years. "The Lord roared from Sion and made His voice
heard in Jerusalem."

This is an amazing thing: that an unlettered man, 800 years before Christ,
should write down (or better, have written down for him) certain sayings
that the world has never been able to lose or destroy. The Roman
Martyrology says that he was "transfixed with an iron bar through the
temples." He was buried in his native place (Benedictines,
Encyclopedia).

<><><><>
Whoever will come after Me, let him deny himself.  (Matthew 16:24)

"The life of our flesh is the delight of sensuality; its death is to
take from it all sensible delight. The life of our judgment and our will is
to dispose of ourselves and what is ours, according to our own views and
wishes; their death, then, is to submit ourselves in all things to the
judgment and will of others. The life of the desire for esteem and respect
is to be well thought of by everyone; its death, therefore, is to hide
ourselves so as not to be known, by means of continual acts of humility and
self-abasement. Until one succeeds in dying in this manner, he will never
be a servant of God, nor will God ever perfectly live in him"
-St. Mary Magdalen de' Pazzi

With great frankness this beautiful soul expressed to others so lofty a
sentiment, because she knew that it was precisely in this way that, to her
infinite profit, she had attained to the death of her own flesh, her own
judgment and will, and her own human respect; of her own flesh, which she
never ceased to treat with the greatest harshness and rigor; of her own
judgment and will, which she always strove to keep subject to, and
dependent upon, others; of her human respect, by abhorring and avoiding
constantly every occasion of being honored and esteemed.

(Taken from the book "A Year with the Saints".  March - Mortification)

Bible Quote:
11 These things he said; and after that he said to them: Lazarus our friend
sleepeth; but I go that I may awake him out of sleep.  (John 11:11)

<><><><>
The Litany of Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows, composed by Pope Pius VII:

Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us.                                        Christ, graciously
hear us.
God, the Father of heaven,                      Have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world,      Have mercy on us.
God the Holy Ghost,                          Have mercy on us.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,                 pray for us.
Holy Virgin of virgins,                         pray for us.
Mother of the Crucified,                      pray for us.
Sorrowful Mother,                               pray for us.
Mournful Mother,                                pray for us.
Sighing Mother,                                  pray for us.
Afflicted Mother,                                 pray for us.
Forsaken Mother,                               pray for us.
Desolate Mother,                                pray for us.
Mother most sad,                                pray for us.
Mother set around with anguish,         pray for us.
Mother overwhelmed by grief,             pray for us.
Mother transfixed by a sword,             pray for us.
Mother crucified in thy heart,               pray for us.
Mother bereaved of thy Son,               pray for us.
Sighing Dove,                                      pray for us.
Mother of Dolors,                                 pray for us.
Fount of tears,                                   pray for us.
Sea of bitterness,                              pray for us.
Field of tribulation,                             pray for us.
Mass of suffering,                              pray for us.
Mirror of patience,                             pray for us.
Rock of constancy,                            pray for us.
Remedy in perplexity,                       pray for us.
Joy of the afflicted,                            pray for us.
Ark of the desolate,                           pray for us.
Refuge of the abandoned,                pray for us.
Shield of the oppressed,                   pray for us.
Conqueror of the incredulous,           pray for us.
Solace of the wretched,                     pray for us.
Medicine of the sick,                          pray for us.
Help of the faint,                                pray for us.
Strength of the weak,                         pray for us.
Protectress of those who fight,           pray for us.
Haven of the shipwrecked,                 pray for us.
Calmer of tempests,                           pray for us.
Companion of the sorrowful,              pray for us.
Retreat of those who groan,               pray for us.
Terror of the treacherous,                   pray for us.
Standard-bearer of the Martyrs,          pray for us.
Treasure of the Faithful,                      pray for us.
Light of Confessors,                            pray for us.
Pearl of Virgins,                                   pray for us.
Comfort of Widows,                             pray for us.
Joy of all Saints,                                  pray for us.
Queen of thy Servants,                        pray for us.
Holy Mary, who alone art unexampled,       pray for us.

V. Pray for us, most Sorrowful Virgin, R. That we may be made worthy of the
promises of Christ.

Let us pray, O God, in whose Passion, according to the prophecy of Simeon,
a sword of grief pierced through the most sweet soul of Thy glorious
Blessed Virgin Mother Mary: grant that we, who celebrate the memory of her
Seven Sorrows, may obtain the happy effect of Thy Passion, Who lives and
reigns world without end,  AMEN.