From: Traudel
To: All
Date: 2007-03-30 11:02:48
Subject: March 30th - St. Zozimus of Syracuse

From: "Traudel" <hildegard8{at}excite.com>

March 30th - St. Zozimus of Syracuse B (RM) (also known as Zosimus)

Died c. 660. At the tender age of seven, Saint Zosimus was offered to the
monastery of Santa Lucia, near Syracuse, Sicily, by his wealthy parents. As
child, he was deputed to watch over the relics of the virgin martyr-anathema to
a boisterous country boy. He ran away from the monastery, back to his home. In
disgrace, he was returned to Santa Lucia's, where he experienced a vision of the
saint who seemed angry with him. She was appeased by Our Lady and accepted the
boy's promise to diligently undertake his responsibility.

After that, he settled down and was a good and simple monk for thirty
years, then quickly succeeded to the positions of abbot and bishop of
Syracuse. The scene of his selection of abbot is reminiscent of the
selection of the Old Testament King David: The uncertain monks sought the
help of their bishop. After
scrutinizing all the monks gathered, he asked if there was no other monk
belonging to their number. Then they remembered Zosimus, whom they had left
guard the shrine and answer the door. The bishop sent for the missing monk.
Immediately upon seeing him the bishop exclaimed: "Behold him whom the
Lord has
chosen." He appointed him abbot and ordained him priest.

His reputation as a wise and charitable abbot led him to be elected bishop by
the people at the death of Peter in 649. He did not want the position and the
clergy had elected another, Vanerius, a vain and ambitious man. Pope Theodore
settled the question by appointing and consecrating Zosimus. He faithfully
discharged all the duties of a worthy pastor and showed great liberality to
the
poor until his death at the age of 90. These details are drawn from a reputedly
contemporary vita (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth, Walsh).

<><><><>
Saint Quote:

"Everyone has opinions of his own, nor is this opposed to virtue. It is only the
love and attachment we have to our own opinions, and the high value we set on
them, which is infinitely contrary to our perfection. This is the last thing to
be abandoned, and the cause why so few are perfect"
 -St. Francis de Sales

This Saint succeeded in abandoning this last thing, so that he was once able to
write to a friend that he had no such attachment to his own opinion as to wish
anyone ill who did not follow it, and that he did not claim that his sentiments
should serve as a rule to anyone.

(Taken from the book "A Year with the Saints".  March - Mortification)

Bible Quote:
16 Jesus answered them, and said: My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man do the will of him; he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be
of God, or whether I speak of myself. 18 He that speaketh of himself, seeketh
his own glory: but he that seeketh the glory of him that sent him, he is true,
and there is no injustice in him. (John 7:16-18)

<><><><>
Prayer to the Eternal Father

To be said before a Crucifix
in Times of Calamity

 Eternal Father, behold Your Son Jesus Christ, crucified for us! Have mercy
on
us, poor sinners, in His Name and by His merits. We repent and have recourse to
Your infinite mercy. Let Yourself be touched and have mercy on us, for we are
His heritage. O Lord, do not violate the pact You have made: to answer the
prayers Your children address to You.

It is true that our great iniquities have provoked Your justice. But You,
my God, are good by nature. Make the greatness of Your infinite mercy shine
forth.
O Lord, if You look upon our iniquities, who could stand in Your presence?
O Lord, we confess it: we are very guilty, and our sins have called down
these scourges upon us. But You, Lord, have desired that we call You Our
Father" every
day. Look down upon Your children's affliction and spare them such great
calamities. Spare us, my God, by the merits of Jesus Christ. Spare us, by
the
love You have for Yourself. Forgive us, by the love of the Virgin Mary, our Mother!

Remember, Lord, that we are called Your people. Have mercy on human folly. Send
down a ray of Your divine light to dispel the darkness of our intelligence. May
our amended souls change their ways and no longer steep the Heart of their God
in bitterness!

O Lord, only the hand of Your infinite mercy can save us from so many
calamities. O Lord, we are reeling with affliction from within and from
without,
have mercy on us! O Lord, turn Your face away from our sins and look upon Jesus
Christ, who gave You satisfaction by suffering and dying for us, for He is Your
Son! Thus will we celebrate Your infinite mercy.

Hasten, Lord, to answer us, or our courage will fail because we have fallen into
such wretchedness. Hasten, Lord, to show us Your mercy, for we have no hope left
but in You alone. You are our Father and Creator. You must preserve and
save those who are Yours forever. Amen.

**Don't forget to pray the Stations of the Cross on Fridays