From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2003-01-26 19:51:34
Subject: RE: Boer war

* Originally from Paul Tanner-Tremaine (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Fri Jan 24, 02:03

From: paultt{at}onetel.net.uk ("Paul Tanner-Tremaine")

There is a mailing list BOER-WAR-L-request{at}rootsweb.com that may help.

This was posted on the
SOUTH-AFRICA-IMMIGRANTS-BRITISH-L-request{at}rootsweb.com mailing list:

Burial Sites Unit of the South African Heritage Resources Agency (SAHRA) -
holds a database of casualties of those who were killed in conflict and war
in South Africa from the Frontier Wars to the recent Liberation Struggle.
PLEASE NOTE: the data does not hold information of persons who participated
in a war/conflict and survived.

Their most extensive and comprehensive section of the database consists of
the casualties of the Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902.  They have the names of the
British soldiers, Boer forces and concentration camp victims on the
database.  The information provided about a casualty of this war will state
surname, initials, age, rank, regiment, place and date of death, where
he/she is buried and whether a gravestone, memorial, etc., marks the grave
site.  The names of those killed in liberation struggle is increasing daily
as we receive lists of those who lost their lives (on whatever side they
fought) in this conflict.  Street Address: 21 Rockridge Road, Parktown,
Johannesburg. Postal Address: P.O. Box 87552, Houghton, 2041. Tel:
011-4828365 Fax: 011-4828196. Office hours: 8.30 - 16.30. Office hours are
from 08h30 - 16h30.

 If people request lists of information then they do charge a fee for
printouts made at R0-50 cents per page.  If it is a large enquiry then they
will also charge a research fee dependent on what is needed and how much
work is involved in finding the information.  Unfortunately, they cannot
e-mail information to people directly from the database. Email:
jbeater{at}jhb.sahra.org.za or mmhlauli{at}jhb.sahra.org.za

Also www.anglo-boer.co.za
regards
Heather
Heather's South African Genealogy Help List - www.genealogy.co.za
~~~~~~

also:

Here's a good site  for SA forces in WWII
http://homepages.force9.net/rothwell/SouthAfrica.htm

And here's the Roll Call for those fallen starting from ABW!
http://www.lib.sun.ac.za/roh/roh.exe?MenuItem=View

~~~~~~
Paul Tanner-Tremaine
e-mail: mailto:paultt{at}onetel.net.uk
Web page at  http://www.tantrem.com/
formerly in sunny Westville, Natal Coast, South Africa, now in
Wokingham, Berkshire, UK.
searching : AYLWARD; BOWKER; BRABBIN; MITFORD; MONKHOUSE; OSBALDESTON;
PENN; IRISH; DAVID; HEYWOOD; PARKS and TANNER-TREMAINE, among others....