From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-08-14 09:00:04
Subject: RE: Genealogy vs. Voyeurism

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Fri Aug 13, 03:52

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

> I believe that Genealogy, and Family History (I'm not knowledgeable enough
> to separate the two)...<

Here is my own stab at explaining it from my Newbies' Guide.

? GENEALOGY in its strictest sense is the study of blood lines of
descent from a particular ancestor or ancestors, with no attempt to
examine or reconstruct the lives of those concerned. This is
the fundamental building block, the foundations, leading on to.....

? FAMILY HISTORY which covers a far wider spectrum and entails what
might be called "putting flesh on the bones". Family history covers
not just genealogical descents but the relating of your ancestors and
their lives to the social and economic history of the times in which
they lived. Thus, anything at all which impinged on the lives of your
ancestors can be said to be legitimate family history. This includes
how they lived, the kind of houses they lived in, the clothes they
wore, the food they ate, the jobs they did, how they brought up their
children, where they went to church, the shops they shopped at, what
kind of things they bought, the hours they worked, how they spent
their leisure time, etc, etc, etc - and a million other things which
all help to build up a practice and realistic picture of your
ancestors` lives.

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html