From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-02-10 05:22:22
Subject: Old RSL Year Book 24

* Originally from gwen (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Fri Feb 06, 23:15

From: "gwen" <gwenpt{at}bigpond.com>

This Article is taken from The Returned Sailors and Soldiers' Imperial
League of Australia, Official Year Book of 1939. It is stamped 'Defence
Issue' and the price was 1/6, or 1 shilling and 6 pence in the old
pre-decimal currency. After World War 2 the RSSILA became the RSL - Returned
Services League.
Spelling is as in the original articles.

P 104 - 24
AFRICA'S 1000 PILOTS.
The South African Minister for Defence, Mr. Pirow, went to London in October
to discuss with the Admiralty and the Ministers for War and Air the South
African Union's armament scheme, including the training of a thousand
pilots.
The African Air Force programme includes a central flying school of two
squadrons.
These comprise three flights of 10 aircraft each, to train officers,
instructors, and reserve pilots, flying schools at Bloernfontein, Capetown,
and Durban, each of one squadron strength, to train the thousand pilots; an
air firing, bombing and anti-aircraft school at Capetown; an air survey unit
at Pretoria; and reserve mechanics, enabling the mobilisation of 3000
civilian planes, available in war time for whatever purposes for which they
are suitable.

P 107 - 24
THE TITLE "A.I.F."
The title "Australian Imperial Force" (A1F.) was the suggestion of the late
Major-General Sir W . T, Bridges, K.C.B., C.M.G.
The term "A.I.F." is not altogether a general one. A man will say he served
with the Light, Horse, Artillery, or A.M.C., while the infantryman will
always say he served in the A.I.F. Consequently, many of the new generation
erroneously regard the letters as signifying "Australian Infantry Force."
Perhaps the splitting up of this was best exemplified. by Parliament, when
it voted the country's thanks to the A.I.F, and the A.M.C
In the order authorising the formation of the force it was styled
"A.I.E.F.", or "Australian Imperial Expeditionary
Force", being gradually
displaced by the letters A.I.F., but never at any time was a badge or
initials issued or authorised for wear showing "A.I.F."

P 108 - 24
THE AUSTRALIAN NURSES.
The number of Australian nurses who volunteered and were accepted for the
front was 2,250. Their glorious devotion, their rnagnificent courage and
their tender and unremitting care Will never be forgotten by the Australians
who were wounded in the great struggle for liberty and justice.
On all fronts (the most dangerous and uninviting seemed to be the ones most
sought after) these splendid women were to be found as ministering angels,
soothing, comforting and alleviating the agony of wounds, fever and disease.
Frequently under shell-fire, they carried out their mission of mercy with a
total disregard of all danger and discomfort  -  in Siberia, East Africa,
Palestine, Mesopotamia, New Guinea, France, India, Egypt, and Salonika, and
in troopships and hospital ships liable to be torpedoed at any moment.
Six Australian nurses were awarded the military medal for acts of
conspicuous bravery and devotion, ninety-eight were mentioned in despatches
and seventy-four received the Royal Red Cross.

Regards  Gwen

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: BigPond Internet Services (8:8/2002)