From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2003-12-25 19:25:34
Subject: Re: Writing a family history

* Originally from Don Moody (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Tue Dec 23, 09:24

From: Don Moody <don{at}hyperpeople.demon.co.uk>

In message <200312231154.hBNBsUwT052015{at}smtp1.freeola.com>, Roy
Stockdill <roy{at}stockdill.com> writes
>Designing and publishing your family history is a whole different
>ball-game in itself and I may post another message later,

The time is coming, if not already come, when publication of family
history as a 'book' will no longer happen except for a few great
families of interest to many people. The future (present?) lies with CD
or even DVD. Many people already have the capacity to write CDs, and CDs
have three great advantages:

1.      They are so cheap that as the history develops it is easy enough
to throw away the previous edition and replace it with a new one.

2.      They are much the easiest way of storing 'visuals', especially
in full colour.

3.      Compared to the length of run which makes colour printing
sensible in books, doing colour work on CD is economical for a handful
of 'private' copies.

Then comes the disadvantage.

Whereas there is plenty of advice based on centuries of book design,
there is very little advice on how to exploit the capacity and nature of
CDs by careful design. That design no longer has to be limited by the
essentially linear nature of presentation of information in books. So
there is need for some well-thought out advice on how to present a
family history on CD. Would entering Great Aunt's name lead not only to
the text page on which she is mentioned but also to any photos of her,
alone or in a group, to bits of family tree which mention her, and even
to a home recording of her piano-playing and singing at a family party?
There are many possibilities which simply cannot be done in a printed
book, but for which good design criteria are not well known.

I fear that without such guidance, home-produced CDs will be merely
go-faster versions of the same mess as an unsorted pile of documents.

Don

--
Dr D P Moody, Ashwood, Exeter Cross, Liverton, Newton Abbot, Devon,
England TQ12 6EY

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: FamilyNet Newsgate telnet://www.family-bbs.net  (8:8/2002)

@PATH: 7106/20 22 7102/1 140/1 106/2000 633/267