From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2003-12-25 19:16:16
Subject: Writing a family history

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Tue Dec 23, 05:48

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

The current debate about a coat of arms, and whether anyone should
use on a family history a depiction of armorial insignia to which
they are not entitled, prompts me to suggest that anyone seriously
wanting to write up their family history - always something to be
encouraged for the sake of posterity - should do some good,
solid research first before embarking on what is, after all, a major
task.

I would first recommend reading an excellent book on the subject by
the well-known genealogist JOHN TITFORD, a colleague of mine on the
SoG Publications Committee. "Writing and Publishing Your Family
History" is a u4.95 paperback published by Countryside Books and the
Federation of Family History Societies (Publications) Ltd. It's an
easy-to-read, step-by-step guide telling you everything you need to
know.

"Writing Up Your Family History" is also one of my own lectures and I
am happy to share with listers here some of the general principles
I always give to my audience:-

1) Before you write a single word, devise a "game plan". Do NOT sit
down at your computer surrounded by hundreds of documents and notes
and files, etc, with only the vaguest idea of where to start and what
you are doing because you will end up in a hopelessly confused muddle
and probably tears of frustration. By "plan" I mean get an idea very
clearly in your mind of what form you want the book to take and
devise some clear chapter headings and contents. Jot down some notes.

2) Plan the layout of the book carefully. Will you introduce family
trees and charts in the context of each chapter as you go along or
will you put them all together in a separate section? Either way is
equally valid, as long as if you plan to put them all together in one
section you cross-ref where appropriate to the chapters or pages of
the particular branch they cover. Secondly, will you write the book
in chronological order, starting from as far back as you know and
working towards the present? This is one way of telling a family's
story in a narrative style. But there are others that are equally
valid - one way is to tell the story of how you set about tracing
your ancestors and how you achieved it stage by stage. A third way is
to write a separate chapter about each branch of the family or, if
they warrant it, devote a whole chapter to one particular person.

3) Decide which family line you are going to follow and stick to it,
otherwise you will end up very muddled!

4) Who are you writing the story for? Other genealogists, historians,
the general public  or your own family? Remember that the great
majority of your readers will not be family historians at all,
therefore you must explain what, for example, bishops' transcripts
and the Hearth Tax are. And be sure to annotate and reference ALL
your sources,

5) Setting people in a historical and social context. This, too, is
vital in bringing home to the reader some understanding of the kind of
times our ancestors lived in and how difficult in many respects their
lives must have been. Mention the great national and international
events they lived through - wars, battles, dramas, tragedies,
triumphs, celebrations etc - as well as incidents of a more localised
nature, which may seem trivial but again give a valuable picture of
the times. What stories were in the local papers at the time
(especially if your ancestors figured in them), what kind of goods
were being offered in adverts and in the local shops, what was the
premier industry of the area, where did most people work, what clothes
did they wear, how did they spend their leisure time - and a million
other questions.

6) Finally, remember the old adage "A picture is worth a thousand
words." It's true! Pictures of your ancestors, their houses, churches
where they worshipped, maps of the places they lived, shops,
memorabilia such as certificates, military service records, etc, all
help to bring a family history truly alive.

Designing and publishing your family history is a whole different
ball-game in itself and I may post another message later, or if
anyone wishes to ask me a question on a particular aspect, feel free
to e-mail me.

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of
people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean
advantage of them."

- P. G. Wodehouse

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)