From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-03-01 03:12:20
Subject: Re: Abbreviations

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Mon Mar 01, 03:11

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

> From:          "Stephen Hayes"
<Stephen.Hayesp0.f10.n7903.z8{at}fmlynet.org>

> Could you explain the relationship between the GRO and the FRC?>

I believe this question has already been answered, but I have only
just received it, for some reason (the arrival of messages appears to
be distinctly erratic again!).

The FRC, i.e. the Family Records Centre, is the search room at
Islington, London, where you can search the volumes for the entry of
the event you want and order the certificate, which is then sent out
from the General Register Office (part of the Office for National
Statistics) at Southport.

The FRC contains all the Births, Marriages & Deaths indexes
for England and Wales, formerly held at St. Catherine's House in the
Aldwych (and before that, Somerset House, but that was many years
ago) and the census returns formerly held at the PRO census office in
Portugal St, off Chancery Lane, as well as PCC (Prerogative Court of
Canterbury) wills, the IGI, adoptions indexes, overseas records for
Britons abroad, some services returns, estate duty registers and
indexes and some nonconformist records, plus a collection of printed
parish registers, mostly for London.

For full details of the Family Records Centre and what it holds, I
recommend a little booklet by a friend of mine, Audrey Collins, a
very well-known family historian. This is called "Basic Facts About
Using The Family Records Centre", published by the Federation of
Family History Societies (website www.familyhistorybooks.co.uk)

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of
people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean
advantage of them."

- P. G. Wodehouse

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)