From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-10-18 07:58:42
Subject: Re: 1837 Rip Off

* Originally from Dave Mayall (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Thu Oct 14, 12:30

From: Dave Mayall <david.mayall{at}ukonline.co.uk>

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:49:54 +0000 (UTC), BJones
<BJones13579{at}hotmail.com> wrote:

>1837 online is making money out of our public records. Freebmd is the only
>way forward. Do not support 1837.

Whilst your support for FreeBMD is something that I wholeheartedly
welcome, and whilst I spend hours every week working (effectively) to
put 1837online out of business, I certainly wouldn't go so far as to
describe 1837online as a "rip off"

FreeBMD makes no money out of the records, but I freely acknowledge
that we don't have all the records yet.

We will have all the records in a relatively short timespan, and we
will have *images* of all the records (as 1837online have) in an even
shorter timespan, but until then, 1837online represents the least
expensive stop-gap solution to the periods for which FreeBMD has no
data.

I would always recommend the following search order;
1) FreeBMD search
2) FreeBMD images (we have many images that haven't yet been
transcribed)
3) 1837online

--
Dave Mayall