From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-03-24 07:41:18
Subject: Re: Coroner's Inquests as Genealogical Tool

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Tue Mar 23, 10:07

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

> From:          "Peter Crosland" <g6jns{at}spamcop.net>

> Coroners courts are, with a few exceptions, open to the public so why are
> the records sealed at all?>

ALL types of courts are open to the public virtually ALL of the time
- but you try asking to see the official records of a particular
case in a magistrates' or Crown court.

The access is for the physical admission of members of the public to
a court and for the press's right to report the cases.

The following is taken direct from the Gibson Guide "Coroners' ecords
in England and Wales, Second Edition".....

"Public access to coroners' records is governed by the Public Records
Act 1958 (which Guy Etchells has already referred to in another
thread, amended by the Public Records Act 1967, s. 44, and Coroners'
Rules (1984) Rule 57. By order of the Lord Chancellor, under s.5 of
the 1958 Act (Instrument No. 68, Access to Public Records, 16 April
1984) records relating to reported deaths are closed to the public
for 75 years, though many archivists still seem to be applying the
former 100 year closure rule. Anyone who, in the opinion of the
coroner, has a bona fide research interest may be given access to
closed records no matter where the records are stored. However, the
coroner will have due regard for privacy and for the avoidance of
propaganda or mischief."

However, in practice, once the records are only 15 years old they can
be weeded out and many destroyed. Certain classes of records are
scheduled for permant preservation: the indexed registers of deaths
reported, all papers dated before 1875, papers relating to treasure
trove, cases illustrating in any significant way contemporary
coroners' practices and cases relating to general public, scientific,
forensic, social, local, industrial or unique historical interest
(the Gibson Guide again).

The survival of coroners' records, as I said in a previous message,
is very patchy. Some coroners choose to destroy all their records and
some to preserve them all.

You are still better off by far looking for an inquest report in a
newspaper of the time (despite what Chris Watts says!).

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of
people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean
advantage of them."

- P. G. Wodehouse

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)