Index Next >>>

From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 1995-12-04 04:45:04
Subject: Obscure sources - why it's always worth asking an RO

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Sun Dec 01, 06:21

From: roy{at}stockdillfhs.org.uk ("Roy Stockdill")

I HAD a little object lesson very recently in how, even for we more
experienced genealogists, it's always worth asking a record office
whether they have anything on an obscure source, on the offchance of
what might seem a very long shot indeed turning up trumps. It should
also be a pointer to some of the newer would-be family historians
here who seem to think it can all be done on the Internet - because
it can't, which I keep "banging on" about, as some of you know !
Anyway, I thought I would share this with you, as an example of what
kind of priceless material is just lying there in odd corners waiting
to be harvested.

Having discovered from the 1851 and 1861 censuses for Scarborough,
Yorkshire, that my gt-gt-grandfather THOMAS WORSNOP (1801-1872)
was a police officer in that bracing seaside town, I contacted the
North Yorkshire Record Office at Northallerton and asked if they had
any police records for that era. I didn't really hold out much hope,
but back came a letter saying they had looked through some
Scarborough borough records and found two old accounts books for the
police, covering a period from 1836 to 1857, in which a quick glance
showed that the name of Thomas Worsnop appeared many times. Was I
interested in these? (well, is the Pope a Catholic, as they say...).
I got the impression the RO didn't even have these books listed
themselves, except in a general way amongst the borough records, and
had come across them by accident.

Off went a cheque sufficient to cover a reasonable amount of search
time and after about four weeks back came a sheaf of photocopied
pages from these aged accounts books. Was it worth the wait? You bet!
The books went into the absolute minutae of daily life in the police
station, listing in meticulous detail payments to every officer by
name and amount, also showing details of sums paid to local
tradesmen for suppling goods and services, such as bread, candles,
oil, straw (for the horses, perhaps, or maybe for the cell floor),
etc. Over the period of 1836-1857, the books mention around 30
Scarborough policemen with full names and the amounts they were paid
for working days, nights, weekends, etc, also the names of the
tradesmen, most of whom I could identify with the aid of a Pigot's
directory for 1834.

By a careful analysis of the accounts, I could follow my ancestor's
career, starting off in 1836 when he appears to have been a special
constable on duty only part-time, since for several years he was paid
for nights and weekends only. Then came a specific time in the 1840s
when he switched to working full days, which presumably meant he had
become a full-time police officer. I even know exactly what he was
doing on Christmas Day 1839 - he was patrolling the beat in
Scarborough, since the accounts for January 1840 specifically record
him as being paid for that day. There were also mentions of his being
paid extra for attendance at the court sessions (spelt "sissions") at
the town hall. Even better, there were many examples of his signature
when he had signed for his money at the bottom of the page.

Moreover, there were names among the police officers that I
recognised from other documents and which could help explain other
relationships. For instance, Thomas's second wife was a SARAH HIRST
and one of his brother officers was a Thomas Hirst, whom I suspect
but have not yet proved was probably Sarah's brother. Another was an
EDWARD MALTBY and Thomas's 3rd wife was a Jane Maltby. Yet another
police colleague, WILLIAM TINDALL, appears as a witness on one of
Thomas's marriage certificates. By use of the trades directory and an
old map of Scarborough from the 1850s (obtained from Scarborough
Library), I was able also to identify the tradesman and work out how
close they were to Thomas in relation to his address in the census
returns. All of them would have been his near neighbours and no
doubt friends. And so it was possible to build up a general picture
of what his life must have been like - and all from a couple of old
notebooks found in a record office when I had really expected nothing
at all.

Take note, folks - it's ALWAYS worth asking! And it goes without
saying that my gratitude is due to the unknown person who thought
those accounts books worth preserving when they could so easily have
been destroyed.

Roy Stockdill (Editor, Journal of One-Name Studies)
Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does he will tell you, if
he does not why humiliate him? - Canon Sydney Smith

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)

@PATH: 7106/20 22 7102/1 140/1 106/2000 1 379/1 633/267

Index Next >>>