From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2003-06-17 07:06:30
Subject: Re: Suicide

* Originally from Rachel Gill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Sun Jun 15, 00:14

From: rhsgill{at}hotmail.com (Rachel Gill)

Speaking as an archivist, my experience is that survival of Coroner's
records is fairly patchy. Best bet would be to contact the relevant
County Record Office (see www.hmc.gov.uk for lists of offices/ contact
details) as older reports are likely to have been deposited there.
And/ or, write direct to the local coroner for the place of death -
he/ she will be able to tell you where any surviving records are.

For what it's worth, we have records down to about 10-20 years ago for
the 3 coroners covering our area, but nothing survives pre-1930s
except a few around 1900 in a neighbouring office. No instant access
as records are closed for 75 years, but we've never had problems
getting permission to release specific reports. I'm not sure how
typical we are - I know some areas have good runs of coroner's records
back into the 19th century.

Can't endorse strongly enough the suggestion to check local press -
you should get most if not all the story there (quite possibly with
additional details that didn't make it into the formal record).

good luck

Rachel

"Rick J" <airforce25{at}hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "JanT" <me{at}home.net> wrote in message > >
> > I think the local paper it would be reported in would be the East
>  London
> > Advertiser but their web site is down.    The body was found at
>  Bermondsey
> > but he lived in Poplar.  I would like to obtain a copy of the
>  Coroner's
> > Report.  Does anybody know the best way of obtaining one almost 60
>  years
> > later.
> >

> My own experienceshowed very few Inquest Reports survive. Newspapers far
> most productive source.
>
> Inquest location is based on location death not residence.
>
> I'd suggest contacting Southwark Local Studies who are at:
> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/discovering/library.htm
___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: http://groups.google.com/ (8:8/2002)

@PATH: 7106/20 22 7102/1 140/1 106/2000 633/267