From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-04-03 04:12:52
Subject: XML Gedcoms

* Originally from Adrian Mullins (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Fri Apr 02, 04:13

From: "Adrian Mullins" <mail{at}amullins.freeserve.co.uk>

In 1999 there was a large amount of discussion about using XML to produce
GEDCOMs.  At the time it was said to be the way forward.  I keep all my
family history in an Access database and have written a macro that will
produce a GECOM in the "old" style.  I am willing to plough the
effort in to
do a similar thing with an XML GEDCOM but only if there is some reward for
effort.

I have two questions for this group then please:-

a)    Does any one know of a program that takes an ordinary GEDCOM and
converts it into XML.  I know there is a site that does it on the net but I
am looking for a program that I can have on computer rather than being
reliant on the site remaining there, and

b)    Once I have my XML GEDCOM what benefit will it be, is there anywhere
that will use it and what will it be used for.  Will it have advantages over
conventional GEDCOMs. (I know that more than one question but I thought you
could handle it!)

Adrian Mullins
--
Please visit my Family History website at
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/7291/

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: FamilyNet Newsgate telnet://www.family-bbs.net  (8:8/2002)