From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-09-24 05:56:00
Subject: Nakedness at wedding ceremony!

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Wed Sep 22, 08:42

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

As a member of the Yorkshire Parish Register Society, I received this
morning their latest publication, a printed volume of the
transcribed registers of Masham, Yorkshire North Riding, from
1717-1800. As with most PRs, some of the entries are fascinating and
I thought I would share them with you. I especially love this first
one.....

Marriage on June 24 1723
"Leonard Pybus of Ilton and Sythe Horner of Masham, banns. The Woman,
to prevent the Creditors coming on her new-married Husband for the
Debts contracted by her former Husband, had nothing to cover her
Nakedness during the solemnising of the Wedding, but her Shirt."

The above is subject-indexed in the book under "nakedness, at wedding
ceremony", so one could hardly miss it! Just think, if there are any
descendants of this couple around today, what a gem for a family
historian to come upon.

Other entries of interest.....

Baptism on March 30 1743
"Jane illeg d Mary Bell (born, as affirm'd by 3 women present at her
birth, the 14 day of April 1740).

Baptism on March 25 1736
"Jane Thompson of riper years, a Quaker."
[An adult baptism]

Burial on June 24 1742
"Stephen Smithyes, struck dead in an Instant with Lightning,
June 22.").

Burial on May 20 1746
"A Boy of about 2 years old the son of a Dumb woman a stroler and a
entire Stranger."
[Sad one, that].

Burial on May 20 1792
"William Iveson (killed from a tree), aged 20."
[Killed by a falling tree or by falling from one?]

And definitely one for my one-name study.....

Burial on January 27 1716/17
"Robert Stockdale, aged 105."
[Not sure I believe his age, though!]

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"Familiarity breeds contempt - and children."

Mark Twain

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)