From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2003-01-03 06:20:30
Subject: Re: GG Grandparents - spread of origins

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Tue Dec 31, 11:46

From: roy{at}stockdillfhs.org.uk ("Roy Stockdill")

OF course, the more generations farther back you go, then you find
the ancestral places diversifying and encompassing more
counties and countries.

For instance, I have only to go back one generation beyond my
gt-gt-grandparents, nine of whom were born in Yorkshire, to find a
gt-gt-gt-grandmother from Cheshire, who must have been of Welsh
ancestry since here name was PLEVIN, which derives from "ap Blethyn",
i.e. son of Blethyn, the Welsh personal name. And since her mother
and grandfather were Williams, then it is certain that I have one
Welsh line.

Likewise, one of my Yorkshire lines can be taken back to circa 1678,
but the family, called YELLOW/YELLOWLEY, can be traced a generation
or two earlier to County Durham and a parish on the Yorkshire/Durham
border and beyond that probably to the Scottish Lowlands and Border
Country. This is an interesting one, because I can track the likely
movement of my Yellow ancestors from Scotland to Yorkshire along the
route of an ancient drovers' road that ran from the outskirts of
Edinburgh all the way down through Yorkshire and the Midlands to
London. Never at any stage were they living more than 5 miles or so
away from the track, so my theory is that they were drovers who came
down from Scotland and settled in Yorkshire. Wills and inventories
support this, since they were horse and cattle dealers.

I confess that though I think of my ancestry as being overwhelmingly
Yorkshire and over half of my gt-gt-grandparents were born in the
county, I suspect that by the time I complete my 32
gt-gt-gt-grandparents (if I ever do) the percentage will fall below
50%.

Roy Stockdill (Editor, Journal of One-Name Studies)
Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does he will tell you, if
he does not why humiliate him? - Canon Sydney Smith

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)

@PATH: 7106/20 22 7102/1 140/1 106/2000 1 379/1 633/267