From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2003-04-15 05:27:42
Subject: Genealogical projects

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Wed Apr 09, 17:32

From: roy{at}stockdillfhs.org.uk ("Roy Stockdill")

AT the AGM of the Federation of Family History Societies (which has
over 200 member societies) at Exeter University last weekend, I was
elected to the FFHS Executive and appointed to the post of Director
of Projects.

This means I will not only assume overall responsibility for existing
Federation projects such as the National Burial Index and the
National Strays Index, but am also responsible for initiating new
projects that will benefit the genealogical community as a whole.

I am interested in views and suggestions (sensible ones only,
please!) from all sides of the genealogical world as to what kind of
projects family historians would like to see undertaken, bearing in
mind two factors.....

1) They must be realistically achievable, bearing in mind that they
will have to be carried out entirely by volunteers.

2) They should not clash with or replicate other work going on
elsewhere, i.e. FreeBMD, census indexing or material which is
already appearing, or likely to appear, on pay-per-view websites or
in commercial publications on CD-ROM.

Any suggestions and thoughts gratefully received. Please e-mail to
me privately. Thanks.

Roy Stockdill (Editor, Journal of One-Name Studies)
Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does he will tell you, if
he does not why humiliate him? - Canon Sydney Smith

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)

@PATH: 7106/20 22 7102/1 140/1 106/2000 633/267