From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2005-08-04 05:42:16
Subject: Is this the end?

* Forwarded (from: FAMILY_SYSOP) by Stephen Hayes using timEd/2 1.10.y2k.
* Originally from Stephen Hayes (8:7903/10) to All.
* Original dated: Thu Aug 04, 05:27

This morning my BBS froze while downloading mail. When I rebooted, it took
about 5 tries to get it going again. It froze about a week ago, too -- the
first time that had ever happened.

I suspect that it is a hardware problem, and it's getting to the end of its
life. It's about 8 years old.

I haven't had any callers at all for about a year now, so when it dies, I
probably won't replace it, and will probably drop the dedicated line for
the BBS with its phone number -- there's no point in paying R90.00 a month
to provide a service that no one is using. I've kept it going mainly
because I use it, and find the text-based interface easier to read than
most GUI newsreaders and the like.

So if Khanya BBS disappears from the FamilyNet and Fidonet networks, you'll
know what has happened. If anyone wants to keep in touch, see the web page
below. The e-mail address won't be much help because Hotmail is useless.

I'll keep the BBS running as long as the machine keeps working, but when it
dies, it dies, and I'll ask Telkom to remove the phone line.

So this may be goodbye, or it may not.

--
Steve Hayes
  WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm