From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-02-02 09:01:42
Subject: Talk at York

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Fri Jan 30, 18:19

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

Just a very quick note to say that I will be speaking to the City of
York & District FHS next Wednesday, February 4th, at their monthly
meeting at the Priory Centre, Priory Street, York, 7.0 p.m. for 7.30
(details on the society's website).

My talk is entitled "Sex, Sin and Scandal in Newspapers", focusing on
press coverage of royal, international, national and local affairs as
covered in the media from the 17th century onwards, with particular
emphasis on the Victorian era and the kind of matters which our
ancestors most enjoyed reading about - funnily enough, not unlike
those which make most of the headlines today! I include pamphlets,
cartoons, etc, from earlier eras in this lecture, plus many
illustrations from the newspapers of yesteryear. Mostly light-hearted
and humorous, the talk has been well received around the country in
the last couple of years.

Just thought anyone in the immediate York area may like to know. The
York FHS, I believe, welcomes first-timers to meetings free but
requests you take out a membership after that.

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of
people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean
advantage of them."

- P. G. Wodehouse

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)