From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2005-04-22 07:51:52
Subject: SoG & Archive CD Books Co-operative Project plus a Happy Story!

* Originally from Rob Dewsall (8:8/2003) to All.
* Original dated: Thu Apr 21, 11:04

From: Rob Dewsall <rdewsall{at}archivecdbooks.org>

CDs of Church Marriage Registers 1538 to 1836

People researching their family history can now access the really old
church marriage registers at home on their own computers.

In a joint project with the Society of Genealogists, Archive CD Books have
digitised hundreds of old books and have made them available on CD. The
books were first published in the 1890s, when W P W Phillimore, one of the
great genealogists of the Victorian period, sent a team of people to
village and town churches around England to transcribe all of their old
church marriage registers.  Phillimore then published a series of county
volumes of books, with only 150 copies of each one being printed. Those old
books are now extremely rare, but of course, the Society of Genealogists
owned a full set of them from the time that they were first published.

The books were taken to the offices of Archive CD Books in Gloucestershire
for scanning, and they were all put onto a series of CDs each covering one
county, and the CDs are now obtainable from the Society of Genealogists and
Archive CD Books.

Finding your ancestors in the books is incredibly easy, as the CDs are
fully searchable. Just type in the surnames that you are looking for, and
your computer searches through the pages.  Church registers began in 1538,
and where those old registers have survived they are included. Some of the
older registers from some churches were lost in the mists of time, and
therefore the ones for your village church may only start in the 1600s.

The books contain a wealth of information.  Every marriage that took place
in the parish churches.  "William Barkham, labourer, & Mary
Gravenor, widow - 21 April 1700".  "Lawrence Cooper, butcher, of
the parish of St. Andrew's, Holbourne, & Elizabeth Ambige, servant - 24
Oct 1700".  "Henry Longden, cockman, & Sarah Edmunson, widow,
both of the parish of Uxbridge - 18 Jan 1701".

The counties covered by the books (one CD for each county) include:
Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Cumberland,
Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, Essex, Gloucestershire, Hampshire,
Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Kent, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire,
Middlesex, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire,
Somerset, Suffolk, Warwickshire, Wiltshire, Worcestershire and Yorkshire.