From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-05-08 12:07:08
Subject: Re: Excerpts from Irish newspapers

* Originally from Dennis Ahern (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Tue May 04, 18:55

From: Dennis Ahern <ahern{at}world.std.com>

From The Cork Examiner, 14 October 1864 -

              MR. ALDERMAN MECHI'S WEIGHT.
                     ------------
               TO THE EDITOR OF THE TIMES.
      SIR,--There can be no doubt about the fattening properties of
   sugar. It is well known that during the sugar-cane harvest in our
   West India Colonies everybody, human and animal, gets rapidly fat,
   especially the negroes and their children. The same remark applies
   to the ladies of the harem in Turkey, who are expected--and, in
   fact, compelled--to eat a great variety of sweetmeats to produce
   rotundity. As a juror in the exhibition of 1851, I was much struck
   with the variety of sugar preparations in the Turkish department, and
   ascertained the cause. Your correspondent "F.R.S." is right as to
   the admixture of starch, but he should remember that we eat
   potatoes, bread puddings, &c., abounding in starch. There was no
   mistake about my increase or decrease of weight. Probably I am
   what in agriculture we call a "good doer," like many very corpulent
   friends, who get fat upon a little, while certain very great feeders
   are as lean as rakes. I am, Sir, your obedient servant,
                                           J. J. MECHI.
      Tiptree-hall, near Kelvedon, Oct. 11.
      My usual weight is 15 stone, to which I mean to try to limit myself.

  Dennis Ahern             |    Ireland Newspaper Abstracts
  Acton, Massachusetts     |    http://www.IrelandOldNews.com
 - Origin: The World, Public Access Internet, Brookline, MA (8:8/2002)