From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-09-03 04:24:54
Subject: Re: Track birth in England/Wales 1925-1930

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Wed Sep 01, 09:49

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

> From:          Don Aitken <don-aitken{at}freeuk.com>

> Not now, and probably not ever. In fact, you'd better hurry up with
> this bit of research, since access to records less than 100 years old
> is likely to be withdrawn soon on "privavy" grounds. They aren't going
> to be able to recall all those library copies, though, especially
> those outside the UK.>

Not quite so.

The proposal in the civil registration review now is to remove
addresses from birth certificates under 75 years old and the cause of
death from death certificates less than 25 years old. Marriage will
be dealt with under a different process later.

However, those who can show they are direct family - for the
definition of "family" see the full government document - will still
have access to all the information.

There is no suggestion I am aware of that general access is going to
be withdrawn on privacy or any other grounds - there never was, in
fact in the original White Paper. The original proposal was to
suppress addresses and occupations on certificates less than 100
years but this has now been substantially modified, the proposal to
suppress occupations being removed altogether. The modified
proposals have also moved to the Scottish system of 75 years for
births and 25 years for deaths and will be record-based, rather than
on the age of a person. The UK genealogical, of course, is still
opposed to any restrictions at all.

I am not aware there has EVER been any proposal to withdraw access to
the GRO Indexes, which are a different thing to the full documents.
Why would they need to withdraw the indexes when they contain only
very basic information? I explained to the OP about the indexes being
online at www.1837.com and, having found the event wanted, it is then
up to the OP to apply for the birth certificate - but I agree, to do
it quickly if the full information is required unless they are a
family member.

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"Familiarity breeds contempt - and children."

Mark Twain

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)