From: Stephen Hayes
To: Miles Maxted
Date: 2005-08-12 06:57:42
Subject: Is this the end?

Miles Maxted wrote in a message to Stephen Hayes:

 MM> G'morning Stephen,

 SH> And, to answer Miles's question, it's a 486 66 Mhz

 MM> Much better than my legacy boxes !

 MM> As a matter of interest,  what attention does your genealogical
 MM> database draw these days ?

Very little... I think with the Rootsweb forums and Google the need for
such a query database has passed, and though I still see queries on some of
the mailing lists, people seem reluctant to add them to the database.

 MM> I guess I'm really asking what you intend to do with all the stuff
 MM> you've accumulated and made accessible to fidonet enquirers - in
 MM> the event of closing your Fidonet terminal ?

Probably put it on CD and send it to a couple of genealogical libraries.

 MM> It has been quite sad to find so many collectors of useful
 MM> databases quietly fold tents and evaporate...

Like Ted Wildy's marriage witness index?

I believe the data is still available, thougb it is not being added to.

--
Steve Hayes
  WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm