From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2005-02-27 06:18:54
Subject: Privacy/Lunacy

* Originally from Jeff (8:8/2003) to All.
* Original dated: Fri Feb 25, 02:18

From: "Jeff" <jeffxxx{at}yahoo.com>

Off topic I know but after the recent exchange on Data Protection I found
this from The Edgware Times interesting.

Mistaken identity leads to months of misery

Driven mad: the one and only Christine June Mary Brown By Sophie Kummer
When Christine Brown changed her address on her driving licence, she
noticed the duplicate came back mistakenly showing three penalty points on
her previously unblemished record. She thought it could be cleared up with
a single phone call how wrong she was.
Five months on, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is refusing
to clear Mrs Brown's licence unless she can prove that she is not the Mrs
Christine June Brown who picked up the points two years ago. But at the
same time, the courts are refusing to send the information about the three
penalty points which were recorded two years ago by a Christine June May
Brown because the data protection act prevents Mrs Brown (Christine June
Mary Brown) from accessing evidence about somebody else, even though the
DVLA maintains they are the one-and-the-same person.
And in this most ridiculous of classic Catch-22 situations, Mrs Brown
cannot prove she has a clean licence, because the courts only keep records
on people who have penalty points. Mrs Brown, 54, of Thornton Road, Barnet,
is beginning to wonder if she is a victim of identity fraud and will just
have to accept it.
"It's a chicken and egg situation," she said. "What the DVLA
wants is for me to prove it wasn't me, but I can't prove that, because I
didn't do it; it's not my information. This is so ridiculous people find it
funny, and it is an amazing coincidence, but why is it taking them so long
to sort it out? It sounds silly, but the court and the DVLA aren't helping.
"The other Mrs Brown and myself are two different people as long as
she's not using my identity illegally." Mrs Brown, who was born on
February 10, 1951, drives three cars: a Micra, a Citroen and a small
ambulance, for her work as a warden in sheltered accommodation. Amazingly,
the other Mrs Brown was born on the same day, and, according to police
records, lives in Melton Mowbray. She has three fixed penalty points from
an offence while driving a Mercedes. "The only time I have had my
licence out of my hands is when I sent it to the DVLA in Swansea,"
said Mrs Brown. "When I first sent my licence to them in October, to
change my address, I got it back within five days. But my clean licence had
three penalty points. I thought it would be easily sorted out, until they
told me they couldn't do anything."
In her efforts to clear her name, Mrs Brown even got the police in
Stoke-on-Trent to examine police camera footage showing a lady in a
Mercedes at the time of the recorded penalty points August 8, 2003.
"All they have got to do is push a button and give me a clean
licence," said Mrs Brown. "I've been left in the lurch; if I have
an accident now, my insurers will laugh at me and refuse to pay it, because
of these points. I'm the victim here. I can see it's a unique situation,
but I can also see how it happened. But five months down the line, why
can't they? This should never happen to anyone else." Sir Sydney
Chapman, who has been MP for Chipping Barnet since 1979, has taken the case
in hand, and has written to the Transport Secretary Alistair Darling to
suggest he sort it out.
He said: "This combines the most ridiculous Catch 22 situation with
the greatest coincidence I've ever encountered in my long political career.
"The unique coincidence is that they were born on the same day. By my
calculations, only 2,500 to 2,750 babies in the UK could have been born on
that particular day and doubtless only an expert statistician can tell us
what the odds are for two people to be called by the same four names but
for one letter in the same order on the same day." A DVLA spokeswoman
said: "As far as endorsements and disqualifications are concerned, the
role of the DVLA is one of record keeper, acting in good faith on
information supplied by courts of law. DVLA has no authority to amend or
remove valid offences without the express permission of the court
concerned. Notifications are transmitted from courts via electronic link,
without clerical intervention from DVLA staff.
"DVLA officials are in correspondence with your reader and with the
court concerned to attempt to resolve this matter as quickly as
possible."

___ BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 - Origin: FamilyNet Sponsored by http://www.christian-wellness.net (8:8/2003)