From: Hedley Hunnisett
To: Stephen Hayes
Date: 2004-06-18 22:43:50
Subject: 1901 Census on-line

Hello Steve,

You wrote:

 SH> I haven't tried it yet, but find your description of your experience
 SH> interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Since sending my original comments, I have found that with the Surname
field it IS necessary to give two characters before * although I do not
get an error message.  Others do, it seems!

For the Forename field (only one allowed!) a single character then *
works for me, but others have found it only works with a Space first,
then one character.  Very strange.

Most of my missing family have now been found, under surname spellings
which they NEVER used!

 SH> How much can you play before you pay?

As long as you like, but I'm talking about just the Index.  People are
not in family groups and no address is given, but the following is given:

Civil parish, Admin County, Surname, Forename (one only) Gender, Age,
Occupation, Where born.

So quite a lot of useful info free of charge.  If you want the full
transcript or the facsimilie of the page, you have to pay.  Not got this
far yet myself, although I've extracted over 700 HUNNISETTs (all spellings)
for my One-name Study.  It's possible to pay on line (over here at least),
but have been advised it's best to get a voucher, (here, from the local
FHS) as any unused credit can be used on a subsequent search.

Good to hear from you.

--
Hedley Hunnisett of Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
Researching HUNNISETT/HONEYSETT(any) * HIGHWOOD(any) * FULLAGAR(any)