From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2003-03-04 05:39:30
Subject: An Explanation for WAR.

* Forwarded (from: ANTHROPOLOGY) by Stephen Hayes using timEd/2 1.10.y2k.
* Originally from RefugeeDeveloper (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Sun Mar 02, 21:10

From: refugeedeveloper{at}yahoo.co.in (RefugeeDeveloper)

(Stolen from NewScientist website)

We owe it all to superstud Genghis

Warlord Khan has 16m male relatives alive now, says study

Robin McKie, science editor
Sunday March 2, 2003
The Observer

One in every 200 men alive today is a relative of Genghis Khan. An
international team of geneticists has made the astonishing discovery
that more than 16 million men in central Asia have the same male Y
chromosome as the great Mongol leader.
It is a striking finding: a huge chunk of modern humanity can trace
its origins to Khan's vigorous policy of claiming the most beautiful
women captured during his merciless conquest.

'One thirteenth century Persian historian claimed that within a
century of Khan's birth, his enthusiastic mating habits had created a
lineage of more than 20,000 individuals,' said team leader Dr Chris
Tyler-Smith. 'That now appears to account for around 8% of the men in
central Asia.'

The team, from Britain, Italy, China and Uzbekistan, took tissue
samples from 2,000 men from central Asia, and studied each one's Y
chromosome, the genetic package that confers maleness and is passed
only from father to son.

'Y chromosomes belonging to different men vary slightly. One in every
5,000 DNA units is not the same,' said Tyler-Smith. 'But when we
looked at our results, we found a huge group that did not show any
differences. We were absolutely amazed.'

One researcher, Tatiana Zerjal, even suggested they had found the
genetic footprint of Khan. 'It was just a joke,' added Tyler-Smith.
'Then we began to look more closely at our results, and realised it
was the only really feasible explanation for what we had found.'

First the team, whose results are published in the latest edition of
the American Journal of Human Genetics, found the geographical spread
of possessors of the chromosomes almost exactly matched that of
Genghis's empire, which stretched from China to the Middle East. Then
they discovered that all of these men shared a common ancestor. Again
the answer was consistent with the march of Khan, who lived between
1162 and 1227.

'There are only two ways a single Y chromosome can make such a mark on
a population,' Tyler-Smith said. 'The chromosome could in some way
confer its owners with some biological advantage. But given that a Y
chromosome is little more than a biochemical switch that turns an
embryo into a male child, it is hard to see how it could have such an
effect.

'The other explanation is that its original possessor had some
incredible social advantage over other Y chromosome possessors,
allowing its owner to pass it on, over and over again. Khan fits that
bill perfectly. He had many wives, and was enthusiastic in his
attentions to other women.

When Mongol armies attacked, their spoils were shared among the troops
and officers, with one exception. The most beautiful women were
reserved for Khan.

The study also sided with the Hazara people of northern Pakistan,
whose claim to be direct descendants of Khan is derided by historians.
It found the Hazaras' Y chromosomes were identical to those they had
already linked to Khan.

'It is not the first time the oral tradition has been proved more
reliable than academic treatise,' he added. 'It takes the power of
genetics to prove it, however.'
___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: http://groups.google.com/ (8:8/2002)

@PATH: 7106/20 22 7102/1 140/1 106/2000 633/267