From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-12-15 08:54:00
Subject: Re: One Name Studies.

* Originally from Jeff (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Tue Dec 14, 17:19

From: "Jeff" <jeffxxx{at}yahoo.com>

I don't know how recent it is, but I've only just noticed on
the GOONS Site that a limited number of researchers are
posting all their Post 1837 info, online.

I can see huge potential in this.

I always tell newbies to check GOONS Register first for
every 'new' name. If found it is generally the motherlode !
In fact, it is probably 'bad' for a newbie to have a "GOONS
name" right at the beginning. Sets up unrealistic
expectations. I do have some contacts who are GOONS
researchers. Sufficiently few that I remember the names and
they 'jump out' at me. I find they are generally extremely
appreciative to get "non-genealogical' info. For instance
finding theirnames in Cricket or Football teams.

But a good next step is the ROOTS Surname List. Interests
there are much more specific as to dates/location but thats
fine if you find a match. And, of course, there are 'common
names' there which obviously aren't in GOONS.

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: FamilyNet Newsgate telnet://www.family-bbs.net  (8:8/2002)