From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-01-01 20:25:40
Subject: Using the Family History Library Catalog

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Thu Jan 01, 06:51

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

Here's another of my tips for you newcomers to genealogy.

I get the feeling very few people ever use the Famly History Library
Catalog on the LDS website, www.familysearch.org - or even know it's
there, perhaps. Most folks, I suspect, go in and use the IGI and
Ancestral File and leave. Yet the FHLC is possibly the most valuable
tool on the whole site! By perusing its extensive facilities you can
discover precisely what records have been filmed by the LDS and thus
will be available at their Family History Centres.

Here is how to use the Catalog, with an example.....

1) Go to www.familysearch.org and when the default opening screen
appears click on the SEARCH button. Do NOT click on the "Library"
button on the main bar.

2) When the Search screen appears, click on FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY
CATALOG, extreme right on the second tier of the toolbar.

3) You are presented with a screen giving the following options of
searching by: Place; Surname; Keyword (currently temporarily
unavailable); Title; Film/Fiche; Author; Subject; Call Number. Click
on whichever you want to do.

Let's do a place search (usually the most popular choice) on, as an
example, Halifax, Yorkshire. This is a good choice, since it was a
vast parish, once the largest in England with many townships. When
the search screen comes up, we enter "Halifax" and in the
"Part of"
box we enter "York" (not Yorkshire, since the LDS generally uses
York to describe the county of Yorkshire) in order to distinguish
between the Halifax we want and Halifax Novia Scotia, or any other
Halifaxes there may be.

4) Up comes another screen which gives us three choices:
"England, York, Halifax" plus two other places, Midgley and Sowerby,
which are in fact townships of Halifax. So we click on the first
choice "England, York, Halifax". This is what we get, a long
screenful of records available for the parish of Halifax, as
follows.....

Place  England, York, Halifax

Topics
England, York, Halifax - Archives and libraries - Inventories,
registers, catalogs
England, York, Halifax - Biography
England, York, Halifax - Cemeteries
England, York, Halifax - Cemeteries - Indexes
England, York, Halifax - Census
England, York, Halifax - Church history
England, York, Halifax - Church records
England, York, Halifax - Church records - Indexes
England, York, Halifax - Description and travel - Guidebooks
England, York, Halifax - Directories
England, York, Halifax - Dwellings
England, York, Halifax - Genealogy
England, York, Halifax - History
England, York, Halifax - History - Periodicals
England, York, Halifax - Land and property
England, York, Halifax - Maps
England, York, Halifax - Names, Personal
England, York, Halifax - Occupations
England, York, Halifax - Poorhouses, poor law, etc.
England, York, Halifax - Probate records
England, York, Halifax - Schools
England, York, Halifax - Societies
England, York, Halifax - Societies - Periodicals
England, York, Halifax - Taxation
England, York, Halifax - Voting registers

All of these links are clickable on and by so doing they take you to
further screens giving a wealth of information on what the records
contain, what dates they relate to, whether they've been published
and, most importantly, the film numbers of the various records so
that you can order them for viewing at an LDS FHC. It should be
obvious from the above list that wherever you are in the world, if
you have an FHC anywhere near you you have virtually as much access
to the records as you would have by being in the town of Halifax
itself or any record office where the records are kept.

The Family History Library Catalog is a wonderful tool, folks. USE IT
and half the questions asked here would be redundant!

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of
people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean
advantage of them."

- P. G. Wodehouse

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)