From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-05-14 04:54:12
Subject: Re: BBC London - genealogy

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Tue May 11, 01:51

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

> From:          "JB" <jeanne.bunting{at}ntlremove.com>

> >>We have been asked to relate our experiences with regards to internet
> research and during the program we, (the 2 actresses and me and cousin),
> will be given advice on how to conduct our research more fruitfully.<<
>
> Please, please, PLEASE impress upon them that you CAN'T do it all on the
> Internet and that you must still use traditional methods and go back to the
> originals.  The media seem to be intent on perpetrating the myth that your
> entire family tree back to Adam and Eve is on the Internet.>

But it is, it is! I can prove it.

There is a family tree somewhere on the Internet that has this
wonderful headline on its homepage -

"MEET MY GREAT X 141 GRANDPARENTS ADAM AND EVE"

The author is in Texas, so he wouldn't have made it up, would he?

I quoted this in one of my articles for our mutual employer,
Practical Family History, last year (June issue, I think) and I also
use it in my lecture on Writing Up Your Family History as the kind of
thing that can be achieved with a bit of dedication and determination
(not to mention imagination).

You may also recall from our time on the Compuserve Forum that there
is a pedigree in the library there which starts off with.....

"Name: Adam; Birthplace: the Garden of Eden; Date: about 10000 BC"
..
So it must be true, mustn't it?

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"Familiarity breeds contempt - and children."

Mark Twain

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)