From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2004-03-04 18:53:48
Subject: Dade Parish Registers

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Wed Mar 03, 03:15

From: roy{at}stockdill.com ("Roy Stockdill")

> From:          "Stephen Hayes"
<Stephen.Hayesp0.f10.n7903.z8{at}fmlynet.org>

> Roy Stockdill wrote in a message to All:
>
>  RS> If anyone wishes to know a bit more about Dade Registers - named
>  RS> after a Yorkshire clergyman, the Rev William Dade - who created a
>  RS> system of giving greater detail - feel free to ask. This is the
>  RS> kind  of advanced genealogical knowledge I am always happy to talk
>  RS> about,  as opposed to doing lookups for somebody's
>  RS> great-grandmother.
>
> Please tell more - perhaps with a change of subject line.>

Dade registers are principally found in Yorkshire, but the system was
taken up in some other counties, too. Basically, they are parish
registers that give considerably greater detail - especially in the
baptismal entries - than the paucity of information one normally
finds. They were named after the Rev William Dade, a far-sighted and
visionary Yorkshire clergyman, who was Incumbent of several parishes
in York and other places. They are found mostly between the early
1770s and 1812 (when, somewhat ironically, George Rose's Act
introduced a new system of record keeping with printed forms that
actually asked for less information than one finds in Dade
Registrs).

Dade registers are famous in Yorkshire and no-one researching in the
county seriously can possibly not know about them! They are an
absolute goldmine when found, since in the baptismal entries they
normally give a 3-generation family tree and sometimes four
generations. Here are some examples of Dade entries from the parish
registers of Easingwold, North Yorkshire, all relating to my own
ancestors.....

1792 - John (s. of) Robt Stockdale of E. taylor, s. of Geo. S. of
Husthwaite, labr, (& of) Mary, d. of Launcelot Yellow, of Sutton under
Whitsuncliffe, labr. (b.) 24 June (bp) 29 June.
1794 - Mary Ann (d .of) Robt Stockdale of E. taylor [as before] b. 24
June, bp. 25 Sept.
1797 - Jane (dr. of) Robt Stockdale of E. taylor [as before] b. 16
June, bp. 16 July.
1800 - Geo. (s. of) Robt Stockdil of E. taylor [as before] b. 29 June
bp. 20 Dec.
1803 - Geo. (s. of) Robt Stockdill of E. taylor [as before] b. 20
Mar. bp. 3 July.
1806 - Robt. (s. of) Robt Stockdill of E. taylor [as before] b. 22,
bp. 24 July.

The couple, Robert Stockdale/Stockdill and Mary Yellow, were my
gt-gt-grandparents, and you can see the extraordinarily rich detail
given - the father's occupation; full names and occupations of each
father; parish of residence of both fathers (thus taking you back to
another parish and set of records); and the actual birth date as well
as the baptismal date. Moreover, the details are the same in every
one of the six entries (the "as before" is a transcriber's device to
avoid repeating the information over and over again, since the above
entries are taken from a printed volume of the registers), thus
confirming beyond any doubt whatsoever that each of the children are
from the same couple. It is always possible there COULD have been
another Robert and Mary Stockdale at Easingwold at the same time. In
fact, there wasn't but had there been, the Dade entries would have
identified all the children beyond doubt. Note the change of surname
between the child Jane born in 1797 and the first George (he died
young) in 1800, BTW. A new vicar, I reckon!

The great expert on Dade registers is a man called Roger Bellingham
of York, who had an article about them in a recent issue of
Ancestors, the PRO family history journal. He has identified around
180 parishes which had Dade registers, mostly in Yorkshire but some
also in Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Cheshire, Essex, Surrey and even
Devon, since Dade's influence spread far and wide. Some registers are
not entirely Dade in their detail but Dade-style in varying degrees.

The National Index of Parish Registers for Yorkshire (published in 2
volumes by the SoG) identifies which parishes had Dade registers
under the individual parish entries. However, if you come across a
Dade-style entry, you will recognise it instantly!

Entering "Dade Registers" into Google throws up a whole host of
websites where you can find out more about them.

Finally, PLEASE PLEASE do not ask me for "lookups in the Dade
Registers", as some people did when I originally posted this
ifnormation to other lists a couple of years ago!!! Dade Registers
are not one overall source, as I have explained - they are individual
parish registers, found in around 180 parishes, that give more detail
than normal.

Roy Stockdill
Web page of the Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

"It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of
people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean
advantage of them."

- P. G. Wodehouse

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)