From: Stephen Hayes
To: All
Date: 2003-04-15 08:41:44
Subject: Catherine Bleater-Moans and her privacy

* Originally from Roy Stockdill (8:8/2002) to All.
* Original dated: Sat Apr 12, 05:04

From: roy{at}stockdillfhs.org.uk ("Roy Stockdill")

I EXPECT most of you will have read about the judgement yesterday in
the case of Catherine Zeta-Jones (rightly nicknamed Bleater-Moans by
some UK newspapers) and her husband Michael Douglas over alleged
breach of privacy and THOSE wedding pictures.

Hollywood's leading luvvies appear to be trying to present the view
that they won the case. In fact, they have misunderstood the
judgement completely, since the plain fact is that they clearly lost
on the major issue, i.e. that of privacy. The judge said there could
not have been any breach of privacy, since there is NO such
thing as a privacy law in Britain. He added that it wasn't for him,.
but Parliament, to introduce one if it wanted to.

Pardon me for raising this here, but this is a very important
judgement that could have had far-reaching implications for
democracy, press freedom and freedom of speech had it gone the
other way, also perhaps for us as genealogists. Let me repeat -
the principle has been established that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A
PRIVACY LAW IN BRITAIN.

The only thing that the Douglases won on was breach of business
confidentiality - not the same thing as a breach of privacy at all. I
also suspect, as most lawyers and newspapers were suggesting today,
that they will end up getting derisory damages which will mean they
will have to pay much of the costs of the case themselves. Couldn't
happen to a nicer couple! I also hope the breach of business
confidentiality will be overturned on appeal, as it surely must.

This and the previous case of the model Naomi Campbell, who also lost
a privacy case, will hopefully teach posturing celebrities the lesson
that they can't have it both ways when they try to manipulate the
media. Sell your wedding for a million quid and you have invaded your
own privacy!

Roy Stockdill (Editor, Journal of One-Name Studies)
Guild of One-Name Studies:- www.one-name.org
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History:- www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does he will tell you, if
he does not why humiliate him? - Canon Sydney Smith

___ NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
 - Origin: RootsWeb.com (8:8/2002)

@PATH: 7106/20 22 7102/1 140/1 106/2000 633/267