From: Hedley Hunnisett
To: All
Date: 2004-06-04 23:11:08
Subject: 1901 Census on-line

I've been having my first 'play' with the PRO 1901 census site
(apart from various failed attempts when it first started up!).

So far I've been extracting data from the (free) index, but have
been surprised to discover that many of my immediate family are
missing.  Something like a dozen people so far, at least!

My father (b. 1898) is missing as are both his parents; my other
grandmother is also missing, together with many uncles and aunts
who were definitely all alive in 1901.

As it does not bring up spelling variants, unlike the 1881 census on
CD, I have tried at least ten different surname spellings without
success.

Its response to wildcards is a little strange.  It now appears to
accept a wildcard after just one character (didn't it originally
insist on two characters?) and single wildcard seems to work ok.

When I tried H*n*s*t to see if it brought up any spelling variant I'd
not thought of, after a long pause the 'Person Search' screen came back.
There was no message to say it had found too many matches, or any
results page.  I tried several times, with the same result.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I found some lovely mis-spellings; Hurrtmaceus and Hurstmonceanor
instead of Hurstmonceux, and Berhilbonsea for Bexhill on Sea to
name just a couple.  I searched for a distant great aunt.  In case
she had married, I just put in her first name, year of birth and
birthplace.  No match.  By devious means (which now escape me) I
eventually found her.  The place of birth was shown as 'Sussex ...'.
I had entered (correctly) Wartling.  This confirms the wisdom of
entering the absolute minimum of information into the search page.

All good fun, but very frustrating!

--
Hedley Hunnisett of Wigston Magna, Leicestershire.
Researching HUNNISETT/HONEYSETT(any) * HIGHWOOD(any) * FULLAGAR(any)