FidoNet Echomail Archive
environ

From: Paul Williams
To: All
Date: 2003-06-06 22:02:42
Subject: Press Release (030602f) for Mon, 2003

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
June 2, 2003

Science and Technology Fact Sheet
Fact Sheet: Action on Science and Technology

Presidential Action

Today, President Bush and the other G-8 Leaders agreed on an Action Plan
designed to care for our environment while growing our economies. The Plan
builds on U.S. initiatives to develop transformational technologies in
three areas: energy, agriculture, and global observation.

The Challenge: Promoting economic growth while securing a better quality of
life for people around the world calls for the development and deployment
of cleaner and more cost-effective technologies. For instance, next
generation energy technologies will be able to provide more reliable energy
while dramatically reducing the health burdens of pollution.

G-8 Response: Today, G-8 Partners agreed to Cooperative Action on Science
and Technology for Sustainable Development, and will:
   Develop (1) hydrogen fuel cell technology and infrastructure aimed at
    making fuel cell vehicles price competitive within two decades, (2)
    cleaner fossil fuel technologies, including cleaner coal, and (3)
    new-generation nuclear technologies.
   Promote agricultural technologies and practices, including
    biotechnology, to prevent famine, enhance nutrition, improve
    productivity, conserve water and natural resources, reduce the
    application of chemicals and improve human health and biodiversity.
    Carry forward this commitment by participation in the U.S.-hosted
    Agricultural Science and Technology Ministerial Conference, June 23-25,
    2003.
   Build a better integrated global observation system over 10 years, to
    be kicked off at the Earth Observation Summit in Washington, D.C. on
    July 31, 2003.

Other U.S. Actions: The U.S. is investing $1.7 billion in the development
of hydrogen fuel cell technology and hydrogen powered "Freedom Car." The
U.S. is also spending $1 billion on the world's first zero-emission coal
power plant.

# # #

... "You *have* an a$$?  - KvH
--- Terminate 4.00/Pro
 * Origin: Do not disturb. I'm disturbed enough already.... (1:387/710)