FidoNet Echomail Archive
environ

From: Paul Williams
To: All
Date: 2002-12-04 21:55:00
Subject: Press Release (0212021) for Mon, 2002

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
December 2, 2002

President Bush Signs North American Wetlands Conservation Reauthorization Act
Presidential Hall
Eisenhower Executive Office Building

9:30 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Please be seated. Thank you. Glad you're here. Welcome to
the White House.

Today, we're taking important action to conserve North America's wetlands,
which will help keep our water clean and help provide habitat for hundreds
of species of wildlife. Through this legislation, the federal government
will continue its partnership with landowners, conservation groups, and
states to save and improve millions of acres of wetlands. The North
American Wetlands Conservation Reauthorization Act shows our concern for
the environment and our respect for future generations of Americans.

I appreciate two members of my Cabinet who are here today. I'm honored the
Secretary of the Interior, Gale Norton is with us, the Secretary of
Agriculture Ann Veneman, thank you both for coming.

I appreciate the ambassador, Ambassador Kergin from Canada, for being here
as well. Mr. Ambassador, glad you're here. Thanks for coming.

I want to thank Bob Smith, senator from New Hampshire, for being here, and
for his work on this bill. I want to thank Wayne Gilcrest from Maryland --
he's got a big interest in wetlands as well as the Chesapeake Bay -- for
coming here. I appreciate so very much Robert Underwood, ranking member
from Guam for coming. I'm sorry that Jim Hansen is not with us today. He
was the Chairman of the House Committee on Resources, who helped write and
sponsor and get this legislation passed through the Congress.

I appreciate Steve Williams, who is the director of the Fish and Wildlife
Service, for coming today. Where are you, Steve? There you are. Thanks for
coming.

And I want to thank the president of Ducks Unlimited, John Tomke, thanks
for coming, John. I'm glad you all are here. And I want to thank you all
for coming as well.

With this signature today, the North American Wetlands Conservation Act
will be reauthorized for five years. The law authorizes federal money to
match donations from sportsmen, state wildlife agencies, conservationists
and landowners. Since 1991, more than $462 million in federal grants have
helped to encourage $1.3 billion in contributions from others.

Together these funds have restored streams and rivers, re-established
native plants and trees, acquired land that is home to more than a third of
America's threatened and endangered species. Because about 75 percent of
the wetlands are held privately, we need to encourage cooperation with our
landowners. This legislation shows that when government and landowners and
conservationists and others work together, we can make dramatic progress in
preserving the beauty and the quality of our environment.

I want to thank the Congress for supporting this legislation. And I ask the
members of the Congress and the two Cabinet members who are here today to
join me as I sign this important piece of legislation.

(The bill is signed.) (Applause.)

Thank you. Thank you.

END 9:33 A.M.

--- Terminate 4.00/Pro
 * Origin: Reality -- It's not even a nice place to visit. (1:387/710)
SEEN-BY: 633/267 270
@PATH: 387/710 124/6308 5025 106/2000 1 379/1 633/267